President Obama spent a lot of time during his State of the Union speech talking about protecting, preserving and helping the middle class.
But the record shows that his policies are actually contributing to the destruction of the middle class.
In fact, the statistics paint a sobering picture for just what President Obama has achieved in his fight to “help the middle class reclaim a sense of economic security that will benefit the entire economy”:
- Unemployment: The number of people unemployed has grown by over one million.
- Long-term Unemployment: The average duration of unemployment has more than doubled, to an astonishing 40.8 weeks.
- Jobs: Nearly 1.7 million jobs have been lost.
- Income: Median household income has declined by nearly $1,000.
- Poverty: The number of people in poverty has grown by over six million.
- Hunger: Food stamp participation has increased by more than 14 million people, to a devastating 46.2 million.
- Health Care: Average family health insurance premiums have increased by more than $1,500.
- Energy: Gas prices have nearly doubled, to $3.38 per gallon.
- Housing: Foreclosures have spiked to a record one-million-plus annually.
- Debt: Each family’s share of the publicly-held national debt has skyrocketed by more than $35,000, to nearly $90,000.
The election this November will be about whether the America want to continue in this direction, or reverse course and rebuild the Opportunity Society that has made her the greatest in the history of the world. Mitt Romney looks forward to offering voters that choice.Sphere: Related Content